Friday, April 11, 2008

Rub-A-Dub, Dub, Too Much Soap in the Tub

Do you wear an article of clothing and then throw it in the dirty clothes bin? Most of the clothes you wear do not need to be washed after wearing them for one time. Jeans especially can be worn for two or three times before washing them. If you wear a T-shirt under a sweater or sweatshirt, put the T-shirt in the laundry and fold the sweater/sweatshirt up for future use. (Needless to say, undies should go into the laundry after each use!!)

Do you wash your bath towels after every use? When you step out of the shower, aren’t you supposed to be clean? If your body is just wet and you are only drying yourself, why does your towel need to be washed? Hang the towel up to dry and use it again the next day.

Don’t run your washing machine on a 15 minute cycle. Most clothes are not so soiled that a three minute wash will be sufficient to clean them. Also remember that the detergent companies are very generous when they recommend the detergent amount to be used. Remember, they are SELLING you the detergent and would like to see you use more than is really necessary. I always use less than half of the recommended amount of detergent. If one item is particularly soiled and others in the same load are not, I use a spray treatment on the extremely soiled article and still only add half the recommended amount of detergent.

Washing your clothes less and using less detergent will not only save you money on detergent, electricity, time, and wear and tear on your washing machine, your
clothes will last longer and look new longer.

3 comments:

Larry said...

Hello thanks for stopping by and leaving me your opinion about the popup I totally forgot about it and you reminded me to go into my template and remove it. I'm sorry for the trouble it caused you but it's gone now... larry

Crane's Nest Creations said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments on my pop up survey. Like your blog bunches being I"m a natural myself and don't care for these detergent companies who claim to be natural because they are adding "Essencial oils" to their unnatural detergents. I'm right there with you and give you many kudos for sticking to your guns
Have a most wonderful day

Petula said...

These are great tips. I already do some of the stuff you talk about (in this post and the previous one), which is great cause now I know I'm not crazy! :-) And I'm gonna keep up so I can use some of the other things you've suggested.