Monday, May 5, 2008

I Won't Tell Anyone That They're Fake!

Love flowers, hate to water and weed? I have always been an avid gardener, always giving my plants and flowers lots of tender loving care. However, the cost of plants and water has caused me to reevaluate my love of being a novice horticulturist. For the last couple of years I have “planted” fake flowers. I can purchase enough fake flowers at the dollar store to fill all my flower boxes for $20.00. If I were buying “real” plants, I’d get about three plants for this price.

The “flowers” can be plucked out of the ground in fall, washed down with the hose, stored and “replanted” in the spring! Every few years I will have to replace some of the faded flowers, but in the mean time, I have a beautiful flower bed that is much cheaper to “plant” and maintain than real flowers. The best part is that from the street, no one can tell that their fake!!

1 comment:

Scott said...

This would make an ideal way to stretch the flower budget. This may be a good option for flowers on a second story or hard to reach area for watering. I have a second story deck that we could probably utilize "fake" flowers. I enjoy your blog and am adding it to my blogroll.